18 December 2012
Yes, that's right, the DON FROTH fan club is back to let you know of the main man's latest guest mix and interview, this time for DUMMY magazine...
Meanwhile, there's some fine praise for his recent SONIC ROUTER mixtape over at TRUANTS
... and check out the review of his REflex EP on UNO over at RESIDENT ADVISOR
15 December 2012
JUNO PLUS squeeze in a mention for the WNCL011 cover artwork in their recent round up of Best Record Sleeves...
... the first 12″ on West Norwood Cassette Library 2.0 was an exercise in stylistic simplicity
Watch this space for more news on future Champs / WNCL business in 2013. Oh yes.
Once upon a time, Kentucky's finest, MILYOO, released the mighty fine BIOGRAM v2 on WNCL Recordings.
As part of the press campaign, we forced him to grow a moustache, pack up his most exclusive reel to reels and perform to an imaginary room of thousands at the Cassette Library.
The recording was once available as a free download from FACT magazine but it looks like the original link died as a result of the website's recent update.
But don't worry if you missed out the first time round as you can now download MILYOO - L!VE AT THE CASSETTE LIBRARY from the KNOW YOUR OWN site
12 December 2012
11 December 2012
I completely missed this interview with BEN UFO from earlier in the year.
An eagle-eyed Cassette Library trainspotter (obviously after my own heart) pointed out the WNCL headed notepaper on Mr. UFO's bedroom wall! Fame at last...
VERSIONS 1: BEN UFO from Rollo Jackson on Vimeo.
08 December 2012
30 November 2012
IBIZA VOICE review the recent Trouble Vision gig at Motion in Bristol...
Some people really like a good packed and sweaty dancefloor ... but this was far too chaotic and intense...
That pretty much sums it up for me. Luckily, I was in the slightly more sociable Tunnel. Jamie Hypercolour's excellent curating skills meant I had the pleasure of playing alongside Throwing Snow, Bass Clef and Paul Woolford (pictured).
24 November 2012
21 November 2012
17 November 2012
CLASSICWORKS, the label run by CARDOPUSHER and NEHUEN, turn in a great mix for ELECTRONIC EXPLORATIONS featuring a clip of The Blind Whirring of Machinery from the forthcoming KEVIN McPHEE EP on WNCL Recordings.
Cardopusher is also responsible for the second and latest release on the Classicworks label. The "So What U Want Me To Do" EP features the Cassette Library favourite, I Know You Will
15 November 2012
Cassette Library favourite, DON FROTH, makes the headlines again today. FACT magazine announce details of The Don's new EP for UNO - 4 new Froth tracks plus a remix from the legendary ANTHONY 'SHAKE' SHAKIR...
Read more over at FACT
Download at XLR8R
Pre-order the EP at UNO
Check the Shakir Remix at SOUNDCLOUD
13 November 2012
LABEL: WNCL Recordings
CAT NO: WNCL012
ARTIST: Kevin McPhee
FORMAT: 12" vinyl / Digital
RELEASE DATE: Monday 26th November 2012
A1: In Circles
B2: The Blind Whirring of Machinery
WNCL Recordings and Kevin McPhee have spent many a moon discussing a shared love of Mood II Swing, dubplate culture and Bobby Champs, amongst other things.
In between times, the Canadian young-gun has been honing 4 tracks to present WNCL012 - a finely crafted Extended Play in which McPhee gets his clonk on...
"...in keeping with WNCL's hard jacking groove tendencies, McPhee produces four slices of brick hard House that you'll be hard pressed to even try and overlook." Sonic Router
09 November 2012
EVENT: Trouble Vision
DATE: Friday 9th November
VENUE: Motion, Avon St, Bristol
TIME: 10pm - Late
I'll be playing for the Sneaker Social Club crew in the Tunnel at 2am
I know, I know - enough of the guest mixtapes already. This will be the last one for a while. This month for Dazed & Confused's website, DAZED DIGITAL, I've submitted a half hour WNCL Recordings label showcase.
Check the INTERVIEW and stream the MIXTAPE
1. WNCL001: WEST NORWOOD CASSETTE LIBRARY . What It Is
2. WNCL009: KNOWING LOOKS . Ghost Baby
3. WNCL007: DON FROTH . Balboa
4. WNCL008: ULTRAMARINE . Butch
5. WNCL003: WEST NORWOOD CASSETTE LIBRARY . Mrs Fingers
6. WNCL002: DJ C . Jump Up and Bounce
7. WNCL004: KNOWING LOOKS . Abandoned Skip
8. WNCL010: WEST NORWOOD CASSETTE LIBRARY . Coming On Strong (Pangaea Remix)
9. WNCL006: WEST NORWOOD CASSETTE LIBRARY . Get Lifted (Karenn Remix)
10. WNCL012: KEVIN McPHEE . In Circles
11. WNCL0??: SPATIAL . Untitled
12. WNCL005: MILYOO . Biogam v2 (West Norwood Cassette Library Remix)
13. WNCL011: MILYOO . Pancake (from the “We Are Family” EP)
14. WNCL009: KNOWING LOOKS . Listen To My 45
02 November 2012
SPATIAL, head of the wonderful INFRASONICS imprint, is currently under lock and key in the Cassette Library dungeons, working hard on his forthcoming 4 track E.P for the WNCL Recordings label. We gave him a little time off for good behaviour, in which he chose to talk to SYNTH GLASGOW and record a podcast for EASTERN BLOC - the latter displaying his fine taste with the inclusion of DON FROTH's Liftin' Weights...
28 October 2012
TRAP magazine also have some kind words to say about the latest WNCL release ... although in the interests of maintaining good international relations, I should point out that Knowing Looks is Canadian, not American! Still, it's a nice review...
27 October 2012
I've said it before and I'll say it again. They don't call him the Don for nuffink... MIXMAG quite rightly award DON FROTH's contribution to the WE ARE FAMILY E.P, Liftin' Weights, tune of the month in this month's printed edition of the magazine.
WORKING THE DOPPLER SHIFT is a "... new music and culture site, begun by ‘The Steves’, Steve Hanson and Steve Pescott, in order to carry on the musical conversation (they) began at Ptolemaic Terrascope, and to invite music writers to continue that discourse as well ..."
They've also written a rather nice review of this year's DATA 70 double 7" release, "Space Loops Volume 3". You can check it here
23 October 2012
An unlikely feature on the WNCL blog perhaps but there you have it.
Mr. Slim has recently featured the WNCL remix of Groove Armada featuring Slarta John "Pull Up" in his Beatport Top Ten and during his set at ADE recently.
Stream it over at the BBC
20 October 2012
Tonight is the night to fill yer boots...
EVENT: Fill Yer Boots
DATE: Saturday 20th October
VENUE: The White Horse, Hoxton, London
DJ's: Leisureware, Daniel Ghazvinie, WNCL
14 October 2012
Another month, another mixtape. The latest one is for the bloggers / promoters, FILL YER BOOTS, ahead of a set that I'll be doing for them at The White Horse on Saturday 20th October.
The Mixtape Trilogy is comprised of 3 mini-mixes - Take Me Out, Take Me Home and Take Me Down...
PART 1: TAKE ME OUT
1. WEST NORWOOD CASSETTE LIBRARY . Acid Jazz (Dubplate)
2. BOBBY CHAMPS . Unknown (Dubplate)
3. ANDREA DI ROCCO . The Past Present (IWW)
4. SCHATRAX . Champagne Dancer (Remix) (Fear of Flying)
5. LAKOSA . Nubian Minds (WNCL Remix) (Shifting Peaks)
6. EINZELKIND . Peitsch (Cecille)
7. ZOE ZOE . Church (Sneaker Social Club)
8. MARK HENNING . The Right Time (Remix) (Hypercolour)
9. WEST NORWOOD CASSETTE LIBRARY . We Have to Live in the Future (Dubplate)
PART 2: TAKE ME HOME
1. ADONIS . The Invite (Mathematics)
2. LOWTEC . Use Me (Laid Mix) (Laid)
3. JUS ED . Kick It Up Pt. 4 (Underground Quality)
4. ANDRES . Ribena (Sounds of the Universe)
5. EARL JEFFERS . Surely Not? (Catapult Promo)
6. OPT . Street (Tartelet)
7. TOM ESSELLE . Garibaldi (Dubplate)
8. WEST NORWOOD CASSETTE LIBRARY . Time Loops (Dubplate)
9. ELEANOR MILLS . Same Routine (Al Tones Edits)
PART 3: TAKE ME DOWN
1. JOE . MB (Hemlock)
2. WEST NORWOOD CASSETTE LIBRARY . Body Rock (Dubplate)
3. DATA 70 . Part Two (Enraptured)
4. ELGATO . Zone (Hessle Audio)
5. RON TRENT . Morning Fever (Prescription)
6. PAPERMUSIC . Downtime (Paper Recordings)
7. ROGER GERRESSEN . Somebody Should Have Told You (Wolfskull)
8. MODEL 500 . Got To Be Brave (R&S)
9. MOODY MAN . Track 4 (Planet E)
10. UNFORSCENE ft CECILIA STALIN . Dark Souls (Sonar Kollektiv)
West Norwood Cassette Library has dropped a typically bumping mix
A cracking tripartite mix selection ... showcases the breadth of Bhamra’s taste
LAKOSA & iO's recent Home Early release, featuring the original mix alongside remixes by Pedro 123 and myself, has been available on digital for a bit. Now it hits the stores on vinyl, courtesy of Kerri Chandler's Madtech imprint. Proper.
Whoops. I forgot to mention that WNCL011, the Various Artists We Are Family EP is now available in digital format from all the usual sources plus, of course, the WNCL SURUS store.
There's been some nice press too...
WNCL Recordings call up their top boys for a smart dance-off
Solidifies our opinion of WNCL as a buy on sight label
Peerless, and as such comes highly recommended
Sporting some raucous contributions from the label’s principal artists
Evidence, if ever it was needed, that brilliant ideas will trump a crystal clear mixdown any day of the week
The fact that all the tracks work together as well as they do is a testament to this one dude’s vision. You go, girl
It's a family affair and, as with most, it's a disfunctional, lovable one
Sounds of the Universe
ULTRAMARINE are now on TUMBLR.
Dig into their archive for all sorts of bits and pieces, including this extract from my NO.1 ASTRONAUT project, INSTANT DIGEST
“ '...a monstrously compressed synopsis of the history of pop that crams five decades into just twenty minutes'. Each year from 1960-2009 is represented by an extreme, but carefully structured, 30-second cut-up of a classic album from that year. Bhamra shows impeccible taste in selecting Ultramarine’s ‘Every Man and Woman is a Star’ to represent 1992." Simon Reynolds
BOBBY CHAMPS can often be found on the WNCL stereogram.
This week, he can also be found over at THE FAT CLUB where he answers some questions, supplies a techno mix and manages to crowbar in a big up for WNCL Recordings, god bless him!
"I’m loving a lot of the stuff coming out on Aus and Simple, Sheworks is releasing some really power music and there’s a few really decent releases coming out on West Norwood Cassette Library..."
Also check the recent WNCL mixtape for FILL YER BOOTS, featuring an untitled dubplate by Mr. Champs
29 September 2012
DJBROADCAST in Holland invited me to contribute a mixtape to their illustrious podcast series, so here's what I turned in:
01. DATA 70 – ‘Interlaken’ (Enraptured)
02. DATA ROMANCE – ‘Caves’ (Benjamin Damage VIP) (Dubplate)
03. MIDLAND & PARIAH – ‘Untitled 2’ (Sheworks)
04. KAMIKAZE SPACE PROGRAMME – ‘Battery’ (WNCL Dubplate)
05. BOK BOK & TOM TRAGO - ‘Pom Crash’ (Night Voyage Tool Kit)
06. KEVIN McPHEE – ‘In Circles’ (forthcoming WNCL Recordings)
07. SPATIAL – ‘Untitled’ (WNCL Dubplate)
08. KING THING - ‘Cold Diss’ (Infrasonics)
09. DON FROTH - ‘Dip Dive’ (WNCL Dubplate)
10. HELIX - ‘Stacks Riddim’ (All Caps)
11. HELIX – ‘Drum Track’ (Night Slugs)
12. GEIOM – ‘Dugout’ (WNCL Dubplate)
13. WATTVILLE – ‘We Jostle’ (Sonic Router)
14. KNOWING LOOKS – ‘Cytal Fink’ (WNCL Recordings)
15. SOUNDHACK – ‘Vintage’ (Sound Sampler)
16. PERC – ‘Pure & Simple’ (Perc RZ Dub) (Sleaze)
17. FORWARD STRATEGY GROUP - ‘Nihil Novi’ (Perc Trax)
18. MARTIN KEMP – ‘Closer’ (Frijsfo Beats)
19. STERLING VOID – ‘It’s All Right’ (Acapella) (DJ International)
20. DENNIS BUSCH – ‘Black Hole’ (forthcoming Real Soon)
You can download the mixtape and check the interview (depending on how good your Dutch is) over at the DJBROADCAST website
WNCL011 has been released into the world. A 4-track 12" EP showcasing the wares of label mates Don Froth, Milyoo and Knowing looks alongside West Norwood Cassette Library, is now available for purchase.
12" + Free mp3 bundle exclusive to SURUS: 24th September
12" / digital general release: 1st October
23 September 2012
13 September 2012
09 September 2012
TEAL RECORDINGS, have just released a 3-track, vinyl-only, white label 12" EP of exclusive remixes, including my own refix of SOUTH LONDON ORDNANCE "Witch Hunt"...
TRACKLISTA1: BEASTIE RESPOND_Be Quiet (Jared Wilson Remix)
B1: S.L.O_Witch Scene (Northern Structures H2SO4 Remix)
B2: S.L.O_Witch Hunt (West Norwood Cassette Library Remix)
Available now from the Teal store on SURUS
GROOVE ARMADA return to Hypercolour with their next release, "Pull Up", featuring vocals from Slarta John (of Basement Jaxx "Jump and Shout" fame") and a remix from the Cassette Library.
Check clips of the original, WNCL remix and 2 remixes from Hypercolour's own Alex Jones over at Soundcloud:
WNCL remix also featured here:
BEATPORT - 10 Must Hear House Trax
TODDLA T - Radio 1 show (Stream now)
ANNIE MAC - Radio 1 show (Stream now)
DIGITAL: Out Now
VINYL: September TBC
EVARISTE MAIGA of Goldsmith's University presents his latest video piece - Improvisation, Pain and Joy - which shows the artist 'performing' to the sounds of KNOWING LOOKS "Ghost Baby".
Check the video HERE
Buy the track HERE
03 September 2012
25 August 2012
LABEL: WNCL Recordings
CAT. NO: WNCL011
FORMAT: 12" vinyl / digital
RELEASE DATE: 24th September 2012
WNCL Recordings enters the next phase of its release programme. Having issued a neat collection of ten 10” singles, the label now launches a series of 4 track 12” EPs. First up is a showcase featuring 4 new cuts by 4 of the label’s cornerstone artists.
L.A’s DON FROTH comes out fighting with the hard-as-nails LIFTIN’ WEIGHTS, while MILYOO from Kentucky gets frantic on the raucous PANCAKE.
SE27’s own WEST NORWOOD CASSETTE LIBRARY offers up WHAT IT IS (MAH VIP), originally created for Mz. Hobbs’ Radio 1 show. Rounding things off from Toronto, KNOWING LOOKS gives us CYTAL FINK, angular funk for all discerning discotheques.
We hope you will enjoy our show.
24 August 2012
LAKOSA & iO have their collaborative effort, HOME EARLY, released on Kerri Chandler's new MADTECH imprint this week.
The vinyl hits the shops on 17th September although digital files are available now, exclusively from BEATPORT.
Check the clips of the Original Mix / Pedro 123 / WNCL over at SoundCloud or stream the WNCL remix over at DUMMY now