28 October 2012
TRAP magazine also have some kind words to say about the latest WNCL release ... although in the interests of maintaining good international relations, I should point out that Knowing Looks is Canadian, not American! Still, it's a nice review...
27 October 2012
I've said it before and I'll say it again. They don't call him the Don for nuffink... MIXMAG quite rightly award DON FROTH's contribution to the WE ARE FAMILY E.P, Liftin' Weights, tune of the month in this month's printed edition of the magazine.
WORKING THE DOPPLER SHIFT is a "... new music and culture site, begun by ‘The Steves’, Steve Hanson and Steve Pescott, in order to carry on the musical conversation (they) began at Ptolemaic Terrascope, and to invite music writers to continue that discourse as well ..."
They've also written a rather nice review of this year's DATA 70 double 7" release, "Space Loops Volume 3". You can check it here
23 October 2012
An unlikely feature on the WNCL blog perhaps but there you have it.
Mr. Slim has recently featured the WNCL remix of Groove Armada featuring Slarta John "Pull Up" in his Beatport Top Ten and during his set at ADE recently.
Stream it over at the BBC
20 October 2012
Tonight is the night to fill yer boots...
EVENT: Fill Yer Boots
DATE: Saturday 20th October
VENUE: The White Horse, Hoxton, London
DJ's: Leisureware, Daniel Ghazvinie, WNCL
14 October 2012
Another month, another mixtape. The latest one is for the bloggers / promoters, FILL YER BOOTS, ahead of a set that I'll be doing for them at The White Horse on Saturday 20th October.
The Mixtape Trilogy is comprised of 3 mini-mixes - Take Me Out, Take Me Home and Take Me Down...
PART 1: TAKE ME OUT
1. WEST NORWOOD CASSETTE LIBRARY . Acid Jazz (Dubplate)
2. BOBBY CHAMPS . Unknown (Dubplate)
3. ANDREA DI ROCCO . The Past Present (IWW)
4. SCHATRAX . Champagne Dancer (Remix) (Fear of Flying)
5. LAKOSA . Nubian Minds (WNCL Remix) (Shifting Peaks)
6. EINZELKIND . Peitsch (Cecille)
7. ZOE ZOE . Church (Sneaker Social Club)
8. MARK HENNING . The Right Time (Remix) (Hypercolour)
9. WEST NORWOOD CASSETTE LIBRARY . We Have to Live in the Future (Dubplate)
PART 2: TAKE ME HOME
1. ADONIS . The Invite (Mathematics)
2. LOWTEC . Use Me (Laid Mix) (Laid)
3. JUS ED . Kick It Up Pt. 4 (Underground Quality)
4. ANDRES . Ribena (Sounds of the Universe)
5. EARL JEFFERS . Surely Not? (Catapult Promo)
6. OPT . Street (Tartelet)
7. TOM ESSELLE . Garibaldi (Dubplate)
8. WEST NORWOOD CASSETTE LIBRARY . Time Loops (Dubplate)
9. ELEANOR MILLS . Same Routine (Al Tones Edits)
PART 3: TAKE ME DOWN
1. JOE . MB (Hemlock)
2. WEST NORWOOD CASSETTE LIBRARY . Body Rock (Dubplate)
3. DATA 70 . Part Two (Enraptured)
4. ELGATO . Zone (Hessle Audio)
5. RON TRENT . Morning Fever (Prescription)
6. PAPERMUSIC . Downtime (Paper Recordings)
7. ROGER GERRESSEN . Somebody Should Have Told You (Wolfskull)
8. MODEL 500 . Got To Be Brave (R&S)
9. MOODY MAN . Track 4 (Planet E)
10. UNFORSCENE ft CECILIA STALIN . Dark Souls (Sonar Kollektiv)
West Norwood Cassette Library has dropped a typically bumping mix
A cracking tripartite mix selection ... showcases the breadth of Bhamra’s taste
LAKOSA & iO's recent Home Early release, featuring the original mix alongside remixes by Pedro 123 and myself, has been available on digital for a bit. Now it hits the stores on vinyl, courtesy of Kerri Chandler's Madtech imprint. Proper.
Whoops. I forgot to mention that WNCL011, the Various Artists We Are Family EP is now available in digital format from all the usual sources plus, of course, the WNCL SURUS store.
There's been some nice press too...
WNCL Recordings call up their top boys for a smart dance-off
Solidifies our opinion of WNCL as a buy on sight label
Peerless, and as such comes highly recommended
Sporting some raucous contributions from the label’s principal artists
Evidence, if ever it was needed, that brilliant ideas will trump a crystal clear mixdown any day of the week
The fact that all the tracks work together as well as they do is a testament to this one dude’s vision. You go, girl
It's a family affair and, as with most, it's a disfunctional, lovable one
Sounds of the Universe
ULTRAMARINE are now on TUMBLR.
Dig into their archive for all sorts of bits and pieces, including this extract from my NO.1 ASTRONAUT project, INSTANT DIGEST
“ '...a monstrously compressed synopsis of the history of pop that crams five decades into just twenty minutes'. Each year from 1960-2009 is represented by an extreme, but carefully structured, 30-second cut-up of a classic album from that year. Bhamra shows impeccible taste in selecting Ultramarine’s ‘Every Man and Woman is a Star’ to represent 1992." Simon Reynolds
BOBBY CHAMPS can often be found on the WNCL stereogram.
This week, he can also be found over at THE FAT CLUB where he answers some questions, supplies a techno mix and manages to crowbar in a big up for WNCL Recordings, god bless him!
"I’m loving a lot of the stuff coming out on Aus and Simple, Sheworks is releasing some really power music and there’s a few really decent releases coming out on West Norwood Cassette Library..."
Also check the recent WNCL mixtape for FILL YER BOOTS, featuring an untitled dubplate by Mr. Champs